It Is Now Illegal To Own Books And Black Hooded Sweatshirts
by Chuck Donovan
When opponents of the so-called “Patriot Act” pointed out that the new definition of “terrorism” would cause problems, many people shrugged them off as crazy, liberal political activists. Now we are witnessing the unintended consequences of expanding government control, surveillance, and intervention.
My connections on Facebook lead me to this article, “Young Persons Called To Private Grand Jury For Owning Books”.  Here is the meat of that article:
“Just a few weeks ago, an FBI task force raided a home* in Portland, Oregon very early in the morning. They broke down the front door with a battering ram and threw in a stun grenade,… The operation was one of several which also occurred in Olympia, WA and Seattle, WA, involving some 60-80 officers…
Reportedly, the FBI search warrant was for black clothing, paint, sticks, computers and cell phones, and ‘anarchist materials or literature.’” 
That’s right, you can now have SWAT raid your house for owning “literature” or “black clothing”.
“…there has been a slow and relentless expansion of “terrorism” rhetoric and investigations over the last 30 years. This type of language and FBI investigation was initially confined to property crimes…
Now this already-broad terrorism classification has been expanded even further… to target anyone who causes the “loss of profits”… The FBI acknowledges this shift in “terrorism” investigations in a slide that says the new law “alleviates the use of force or violence criteria.” 
Did you get that last sentence? Allow me to translate it for the FBI. They have now simplified the task of finding an excuse to kick in your door and throw in a grenade.
Don’t toss this off as something happening to someone else. If you have a book the government doesn’t like, you are now a target for their militarized police. The Mayberry type of “Officer Friendly” is gone, replaced by an impassive, helmeted, armor coated thug, toting a submachine gun and backup weapons. Our easy willingness to accept the wrong headed idea of giving up a little bit of liberty to gain a little more security has allowed the police to become militarized, separated from us, and hostile to us. Police no longer seek to “protect and serve” us. Their new primary duty is to protect officers who might be threatened as they break down your door.
Don’t think it cannot happen to you. Bystanders in New York suffered more casualties from police overreaction than from an armed assailant.  Iraq War veteran Jose Gurena was gunned down in his home by a SWAT team that fired over 70 shots at him then found nothing illegal in the house.  Here in Atlanta, police more interested in protecting themselves than protecting innocent citizens, shot and killed 92 year old Kathryn Johnson in her own living room after they broke into what turned out to be the wrong address.  
As recently as the 1980’s there were fewer than 3000 SWAT deployments per year nationwide. Today that number is over 50,000 per year.  In Maryland alone the 2009 number was 4.5 SWAT Team deployments per day.  
I remember during the so-called “Cold War”, the propaganda telling us that the military buildup in the Soviet Union was dangerous. We were shown the lesson of history that no country had built up a military and not aggressively used it. Decades later Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait with what was then the 5th largest military in the world. Again we were told of military buildup and the usual warlike adventurism that follows. Our own military expansion was never questioned, but as least we questioned the expansion of other military powers.
Now our police are expanding and being further militarized. Is it any surprise that they are now being used so aggressively? Why isn’t anyone except the Libertarians questioning that police expansion?
Our government is showing increasing signs of paranoia and tyranny. It is the predictable result of government expansion and overreaching. Government is no longer focused on serving us and our civil liberties. Government is now centered on preserving itself and propping up its’ own power.
When does it stop? It doesn’t stop until we recognize the problem and work to turn it around.
What can you do? Short of a direct confrontation with the law and the inevitable incarceration of the fist wave of resistors, it’s time for you to leave the mainstream. Leave mainstream ideology behind. Stop supporting the expanding regime with your vote for a Democrat or Republican.
The easiest, least dangerous thing you can do is to vote third party or don’t vote at all.
Don’t be afraid to let freedom win.
1. Young Persons Called to Private Grand Jury for Owning Books, September 14, 2012, http://thesoundandnoise.com/2012/09/14/young-persons-called-to-private-grand-jury-for-owning-books/
2. Newly Released FBI “Domestic Terrorism” Training on Anarchists, Environmentalists, Show COINTELPRO Tactics, by WILL POTTER on MAY 29, 2012, http://www.greenisthenewred.com/blog/fbi-domestic-terrorism-training-anarchists-eco/6199/
3. Bystanders Shot at Empire State Building Were Hit by Police, Wall Street Journal, August 25, 2012, 10:45pm ET, http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444812704577611553836585324.html
4. “Arizona SWAT Team Defends Shooting Iraq Marine Veteran 60 Times”, ABC News, May20, 2011, http://abcnews.go.com/US/tucson-swat-team-defends-shooting-iraq-marine-veteran/story?id=13640112#.UFsGr0JqnI0
5. Kathryn Johnston Shooting, Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathryn_Johnston_shooting
6. Cop Watch: Atlanta Cops Gun Down 92 Yr Old Kathryn Johnson and Get 5 – 10 Yrs Prison Time, February 25, 2009, http://www.dallasjustice.com/dallascriminallawyerblog/cop-watch-atlanta-cops-gun-down-92-yr-old-kathryn-johnson-and-get-5-10-yrs-prison-time/
7. Americans For SWAT Reform http://www.swatreform.org/about.shtml
8. “SWAT Team Statistics Spark Questions About Tactics”, The Sentinel http://www.thesentinel.com/pgs/SWAT-team-tactics-Prince-George-s-County
9. 4.5 SWAT Raids Per Day, Maryland’s SWAT transparency bill produces its first disturbing results, by Radley Balko, March 1, 2010, http://reason.com/archives/2010/03/01/45-swat-raids-per-day